Monday 23 September 2013

Hennessy Hammock.

For my birthday my wife & kids bought me a 'Hennessy Hammock', which I have wanted for what seems like ever. I came across these hammocks while surfing the web looking for lightweight camping gear for bike holidays & these sleep systems  just seem to be perfect, no more looking for a flat piece of ground with no boulders & rocks etc. Now I can pitch up over rocks, streams & even on a sloping hill face & have a much more comfortable nights sleep than any tent ! As long as there is something to hang it from then I'm sorted & here in Scotland we are not short of trees.
Now for some pictures & a wee video...
The Hammock of choice, I opted for this model the Deluxe Explorer Asym with zip, reasons being it's designed for people over 6' tall & I chose the side zip model as I intend to use a sleep mat inside mine as the Scottish weather can be very damp & don't fancy a stiff back in the mornings, there is another model the original design which has a central velcro system so you tear open the velcro sit down & when you lay back into the hammock the velcro closes behind you a brilliant idea which really does work well. The word 'Asym' is shortened for Asymmetrical which means that the hammock is off-set so that when you lay in it you are lying diagonal so that you are flatter & not bent like a banana. The other benifits are the packed up size & weight as these are both important for lightweight biking, space is everything. 
After lots of research about these hammocks, a more simple & quicker way to hang the hammock is by using these climbing grade karabiners & rappel rings, a bit expensive but a worthy addition I think.
The karabiners & rappel rings hooked onto the supplied tree hugger straps which protects the tree bark.



All pitched in less than 5 minutes ! Brilliant piece of kit :-)

And there you have it the Hennessy Hammock I can't wait to use it. Forgot to take a photo of the hammock packed in the 'snakeskin' sleeves but this can be seen on the video.

Music by 'The Stranglers'-Hanging Around.

Thanks for looking until next time cheers for now :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment